Brief van Laura aan haar tante Martha

De leukste, grappigste, droevigste en alles wat je maar kunt bedenken weetjes over het Kleine Huis
Plaats reactie
Halfpint
Site Admin

Brief van Laura aan haar tante Martha

Bericht door Halfpint » 27-01-2017 15:14

Op 22 juni 1925 schreef Laura Ingalls Wilder een brief aan haar tante Martha Quiner Carpenter (de oudste zus van haar moeder) en daarin vroeg zij naar recepten uit haar oma's tijd. Laura schreef toendertijd in The Missouri Ruralist en voor haar column As a farmwoman thinks had zij advies nodig.
Zo leuk om nu -bijna 100 jaar later - plotseling achtergrondinformatie te krijgen.

Rocky Ridge Farm

Mansfield, Mo.

6-22-1925

Dear Aunt Martha,

Mary writes that you have not had the circular yet and so I am cutting across the corner and writing you direct.

I have been wondering how you are standing the hot summer., for I suppose it is warm weather there as well as here. We have been having a very dry season as well as hot and are needing rain badly now. We are not doing much farming but would be glad to have the rain on the meadows and pastures.

Rose is still here and busy on a new book. I don’t know what the title is nor how soon it will be finished. It is a story of the Ozarks. Her friend Helen Boylston from New Hampshire is still her with her We are all usually well just now I have had a serious sickness, very near to nervous prostration. It is good to be well again, though I am not very strong.

I hope you are well and enjoying yourself.

The Ladies Home Journal is wanting me to write an article for the on our grandmother’s s cooking bough down to date and I am thinking that you could give me sole old dishes that your mother or yourself used to cook. If you would be so kind I would appreciate it so much. I would like to cook them for myself as well as write about them.

Mother used to make what she called ” Vanity Cakes” years ago. They were mostly egg and they were fried in deep fat. When done they were simply bubbles, usually with a hollow center and they were crisp around the edges. Perhaps you know how to make them I would so much like to have the recipe.

There was something I wanted to girls to do for me, but they never got around to it and Mother herself was not able. I wanted all the stories she cold remember of the early days in Wi., when you were all children and young people. Now it is too late to ever get them from her, but I think and I though than that it would be wonderful for the family to have such a record.

I want then principally for that, But I think too that Roe could make some stories such a record, for publication and that would be fine to.

Only you, I wonder tell the story of those days and any special stories that you can remember about things that happened then. Just tell it in your own words as you would tell about those times if only you could talk to me.

If you will d it, I will b glad to y a stenographer for taking it down for me and I wants lots of it, pages and pages of things about the little everyday happenings and what you and mother and Aunt Eliza Uncle Tom and Uncle Henry did as children and young folks, going to parties and sleigh rides and work and spelling school too. Also about away back when Grandma was left a widow and the Indians used to share their game with her and the children, if I remember right..

if would be wonderful ad so different t have those stories preserved.

We have thought about going up to see you and talk about these things but I am not able to make such a trip and the ( fact this) we can not very well leave home.

Please Aunt Martha, do tell those stories for us all and sent the to m. I can make a copy you know and pass them on to the rest of the cousins.

I am very busy these days with my writing, though I don’t pretend to write anything like Rose, Still I have no trouble in having the little things I do write published.

Keeping house does not leave much time for other things as you know.. What do you to pass the time away. You read a good deal. I know, and that is such a pleasure. I have gotten so that I would rather sit I a rocking chair than travel Rose wants to travel and after a long rest at home when plans to go to Europe again and wander around for a time.

Give my love to all the cousins that are within reach. Tell that I often think of them all.

With much love to you,

Your niece

, Laura Ingalls Wilder
Afbeelding

Juud

Bericht door Juud » 28-01-2017 11:51

Deze brief kende ik nog niet. Wat leuk om te lezen!
AfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeelding

Plaats reactie